My latest hobby continues to get slightly out of control.
When I returned seriously to my family tree, I thought I was essentially going to tidy up information I already had, fill a few gaps, attach some documents and perhaps push a few branches back another generation. Instead, it has become something much closer to historical detective work. One document produces two new names, those names produce another village, somebody gets married and introduces another family, and suddenly what looked like a small missing branch has become an entire collection of people I did not know existed.
Today was another particularly productive day on the Italian side of the family. The descendant chart accompanying this post gives some idea of what is happening. The Pochettino and Ravera branches have been expanding, more relationships are becoming documented, and the colourful collection of boxes on my screen is beginning to look less like a family tree and more like the organisational chart of a moderately complicated multinational company.
The difference is that this organisation has been under construction for several centuries and nobody left me the documentation.
The extraordinary usefulness of strangers
What has impressed me most during the Italian research is not actually the number of records I have found. It is the people.
I started doing what I normally do when I am trying to solve something: searching archives, following references, identifying institutions and sending emails. Most of those messages went to people who had absolutely no reason to care about my family. I am simply somebody living in Moldova who suddenly appears in their inbox asking about a person born or married in their part of Italy perhaps 150 or 200 years ago.
And yet people have helped.
Two people in Italy have been particularly remarkable over the last few days. I approached them while trying to understand pieces of the Pochettino and Ravera families, and instead of merely answering the immediate question, they began helping me dig. Information led to other information. Records were examined, relationships were clarified and new possibilities appeared. They did not have to do any of this; they simply decided that they wanted to help somebody reconstruct his family history.
There is something rather pleasant about that. The Internet is very good at reminding us how unpleasant complete strangers can be to one another. Genealogy has so far been giving me almost the opposite experience. I ask a sensible question, explain why I am looking, provide the information I already have, and quite often somebody on the other end becomes curious too.
Perhaps there is a natural attraction to these little historical mysteries. Once somebody opens an old register and starts looking for a name, the problem becomes surprisingly difficult to abandon.
Eventually, Italy stops being Italy
There is, however, an interesting complication waiting for me as I continue moving backwards.
Modern Italy is a relatively recent political creation. The Kingdom of Italy was proclaimed in 1861, and the peninsula before unification consisted of different states and territories with their own administrations and record-keeping traditions. The Italian State Archives themselves organise historical collections around precisely these changes, distinguishing the ancient regimes, the Napoleonic period, the Restoration, the Kingdom of Italy and eventually the Republic.
That means there is no single neat moment where I can say, “Everything before this date is in the parish.” Civil registration existed in different forms and at different times in the various Italian states, and substantial pre-unification administrative and notarial material survives in the State Archives. Italy's excellent Antenati portal is also continuing to digitise enormous quantities of this material.
But as my particular branches move further into the eighteenth century and beyond, the nature of the research is definitely changing.
I am gradually leaving the comfortable world in which I can hope to find a relatively standardised civil birth, marriage or death record and entering one where the local parish may become the most important witness to a person's existence.
The surnames remain. The villages remain. Families continue marrying, having children and dying in approximately the traditional order. But the political map around them changes.
For genealogy, that matters. A modern place name is not necessarily enough to know where an old record was created, which authority created it, what jurisdiction applied at the time or where the surviving register eventually ended up. Researching a person therefore starts to require researching the history of the place as well.
That is exactly the sort of complication I enjoy.
From websites to parish books
The next stage is consequently becoming more local. Instead of dealing primarily with large online databases and civil archives, I am beginning to identify individual parishes and the people who know their records.
I have already made contact with volunteers who spend their own time working through old documents and helping people like me. These are not necessarily neat databases where I type a surname and receive a list of results three seconds later. We are talking about old registers, handwritten entries, Latin and Italian terminology, changing spellings and documents that may have to be examined page by page.
In some cases, the advice has been even more direct: come here.
Come to the town. Visit the parish. Look at the documents yourself.
I have to admit that this suggestion is becoming increasingly attractive. There is an enormous difference between finding an ancestor's name in an online index while sitting at my desk and travelling to the place where that person actually lived, walking through the same town and reading the original register in which a priest recorded a baptism or marriage generations ago.
It would also transform the research into something more than data collection. Family history is fundamentally connected to geography. People lived somewhere. They attended a particular church, worked in a particular community, married people from neighbouring families and moved along routes that made sense in the world of their time. Once I know the places, visiting them could help me understand the people rather than merely catalogue them.
Of course, this also means that my supposedly inexpensive hobby is beginning to suggest international travel.
I should probably have anticipated that.
Italy has set a dangerously high standard
So far, I am extremely impressed by the Italian side of this project. Part of that is institutional. Italy has an enormous archival heritage, and the Ministry of Culture's Antenati project has made extraordinary quantities of civil and historical material available online. The State Archives preserve not only records of unified Italy but also documents created by the states that preceded it, which means that reaching 1861 does not mean reaching the end of the documentary road.
But the institutional infrastructure is only part of my experience. The other part has been human. People have answered emails. Volunteers have searched. Complete strangers have offered suggestions. Others have explained where records might be held or encouraged me to investigate locally. There seems to be a genuine understanding that these old documents are not simply dusty administrative remains; for somebody, somewhere, they are pieces of a family.
I should also be careful not to generalise too quickly. This is my experience of Italy so far, involving a relatively small number of particularly helpful people. The family tree extends much further than Italy, and eventually I will be repeating this exercise seriously in Germany, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and elsewhere. Different countries have different archival systems, privacy rules, digitisation programmes, languages and traditions of public access.
Perhaps Italy is spoiling me.
I may discover that sending an enthusiastic email asking somebody to search a 200-year-old church register produces a very different response elsewhere.
We shall see.
A hobby I did not expect to enjoy this much
What began as an exercise in reconstructing my family tree has gradually become a combination of genealogy, history, geography, archival research, languages and detective work. It satisfies the same part of my brain that has always enjoyed technical troubleshooting: collect evidence, establish what is known, identify contradictions, form hypotheses and then look for the next piece of evidence that can confirm or destroy them.
The difference is that the system I am debugging is my own family.
And unlike a computer system, it has been running for centuries, the documentation is distributed across several countries, many of the original administrators were parish priests, and almost everybody who understood the original architecture is dead.
That makes troubleshooting somewhat more difficult.
It also makes every genuine discovery surprisingly satisfying. Another marriage record is not simply another line in a database. It may provide parents' names, occupations, witnesses, a different village and another route backwards. A single document can suddenly convert an unidentified name into another branch of the family.
The chart keeps getting wider.
The research keeps getting older.
And I am now approaching the point where the next useful database may be a handwritten book sitting in a parish somewhere in northern Italy.
I am enjoying this far more than I expected.
Although if somebody tells me that the only surviving record of one of my ancestors is accessible exclusively by climbing a mountain in Piedmont and asking an elderly priest for a key, I am beginning to worry that I might actually go.
Historical and archival background used in this article was checked against information published by Italy's Ministry of Culture and its archival services. Genealogical relationships are treated as established only when supported by the evidence collected during the research; suggestions and hypotheses remain subject to further documentary verification. The final interpretation, family history and conclusions presented here remain my own.
Comments
Post a Comment