For many years, building my family tree was one of those projects that could easily consume an entire evening without me noticing the time passing.
I collected names, dates, places, documents and stories. One person would lead to another, one certificate would reveal another surname, and a small piece of information could suddenly open an entirely new branch of the family.
Then, about ten years ago, I stopped.
Not because I had lost interest. Life simply got in the way. Work, moves, responsibilities and everything else gradually pushed genealogy further and further down the list of things I wanted to do.
Now I am back.
And this time, the project is going to be considerably bigger.
Two Families, Not One
Until now, most of my research concentrated on my own family. This time I am also including my partner's family, which makes the project particularly interesting.
My own ancestry takes me mainly toward Germany and Italy. Her family introduces a completely different historical and geographical world: Moldova, Romania, Ukraine and the former Soviet Union.
That means dealing with different languages, alphabets, archives, political borders and administrative systems. A place recorded in a Soviet document decades ago may have a different official name today. A person's name may appear differently in Romanian, Russian or Ukrainian records.
It makes the research more complicated, but also much more interesting.
And there is another major difference between doing this now and doing it ten or twenty years ago.
This Time, I Am Already in Europe
For much of my earlier genealogical research, the places I was investigating were very far away.
Now I live in Europe.
Suddenly, many of the places that previously existed for me only as names on certificates, old records or maps are places that I can actually visit.
My family came principally from Germany and Italy. Today, instead of researching those places exclusively through the Internet or writing letters from thousands of kilometres away, I can get into a car and drive there.
That changes the nature of the project completely.
I like the idea of eventually standing in the town where one of my ancestors was born, visiting the local cemetery, looking at the church, walking through the streets and perhaps entering the same municipal archive where records concerning my family have been kept for generations.
There is something very different about discovering a place on a computer screen and actually being there.
And It Is Already Producing Results
I have only recently restarted the research seriously, and I am already seeing the benefits.
I contacted the authorities in two Italian towns connected with my mother's family. Both municipalities responded and provided information concerning my mother and her parents.
These are small discoveries when compared with the enormous amount of research still ahead, but they are exactly the kind of discoveries that make genealogy addictive.
You begin with one known fact.
That fact gives you a name.
The name gives you a date.
The date identifies a municipality.
The municipality finds a record.
And that record may contain the names of two more people.
Suddenly, another generation appears.
And then the process begins again.
Digging Further Into the Past
Now comes the really interesting part: seeing how far backwards I can go.
Every generation makes the investigation more difficult. Records become older and less accessible. Spellings change. Borders move. Languages change. Documents disappear. Sometimes family stories contradict official records; sometimes official records themselves contain mistakes.
But today's tools are also extraordinary.
Digital archives, searchable historical databases, scanned documents, online maps and artificial intelligence provide possibilities that simply did not exist when I first became interested in genealogy.
At the same time, I do not want this to become purely a digital exercise.
Whenever practical, I want to visit the places themselves.
I want to see where these people lived. I want to photograph the houses, churches, cemeteries and towns connected with them. If local archives contain documents that have never been digitised, I want to try to find them.
Perhaps I will discover a great deal.
Perhaps, in some branches, I will eventually reach a wall that cannot be crossed.
That uncertainty is part of the fun.
More Than Names and Dates
The older I get, the more I realise that a family tree should not simply be a database containing names, birth dates, marriages and deaths.
Those facts establish who existed.
The more interesting question is who were they?
Where did they live? What did they do? What was happening around them? Why did somebody leave one country for another? What did their town look like? What language did they speak at home? What happened to their children?
A photograph, military document, immigration record, property deed or handwritten note can sometimes tell much more about a person than a birth certificate ever could.
So this new version of my family tree will hopefully become more than a collection of genealogical coordinates. I want to preserve as much of the surrounding story as I can find.
And there are now two families whose stories I can investigate.
From Time to Time, I Will Write About It Here
I have no intention of turning this blog into a genealogy website.
But from time to time, just for the fun of doing it, I think I will publish some of the discoveries here.
Perhaps it will be an old photograph whose story we finally identify.
Perhaps a document arrives from an Italian municipality.
Perhaps we discover something unexpected in Moldova.
Or perhaps one day I will drive into a small German or Italian town carrying the name of somebody born there 150 or 200 years ago and see what I can find.
After a break of roughly ten years, the family tree is growing again.
This time I have better tools, I am geographically much closer to the places where much of the story happened, and I have an entirely new family branch to explore.
Now it is time to start digging into the past again.


Comments
Post a Comment