Today we decided to do something that was probably more about curiosity than tourism.
We drove to Tiraspol.
From Chișinău, this is not an international journey in the conventional sense. According to Moldova and almost the entire international community, Tiraspol is part of the Republic of Moldova. In practice, however, travelling there means entering territory controlled by the self-proclaimed Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic, with its own authorities, police, border procedures, currency and political symbols.
It is one of those peculiar situations where the political map and the experience on the ground do not entirely agree.
I had wanted to see it for myself.
And by the end of the day, one impression dominated all the others:
I had never been to the Soviet Union, but this was probably the closest I will ever get.
The journey east
The first surprise was not Tiraspol itself.
It was getting there.
The roads became very bad as we travelled towards the Transnistrian region. For a relatively short journey from Chișinău, some sections were considerably worse than I expected.
That created an interesting contrast with what we would find later.
The approach was rough.
Tiraspol itself was remarkably clean.
Before reaching it, however, there was the small matter of crossing into a territory which officially is not another country but which behaves in many practical respects as though it were.
A border that officially isn't a border
The crossing was one of the parts of the trip I was most curious about.
There are controls associated with the Security Zone and then the entry formalities operated by the de facto Transnistrian authorities. From the perspective of an ordinary visitor in a car, the experience therefore feels very much like passing through successive border controls.
But calling it an international border would be politically and legally misleading. Moldova regards the territory east of the Nistru as part of Moldova, and the conflict has been managed since 1992 through a Security Zone and a Joint Control Commission involving Moldovan, Russian and Transnistrian components.
That political complexity is largely invisible when you are sitting in a car waiting to have your documents checked.
What you see are checkpoints, barriers, uniforms and people examining passports.
And, somewhat to my surprise, the officials we dealt with were very polite.
There was none of the theatrical hostility I had half expected from travelling into an internationally unrecognised territory with Russian military presence during the war in neighbouring Ukraine.
The procedure was formal, but our interaction was perfectly civilised.
No stamp for my passport
I did have one disappointment.
I wanted a passport stamp.
For somebody who has travelled extensively, unusual passport stamps are small souvenirs. A stamp from this particular journey would have been an interesting addition.
Unfortunately, they would not give me one.
I asked.
The answer was no.
Instead, visitors receive a small migration document recording their temporary admission.
I subsequently checked this and discovered that it is not some arbitrary decision made by the officer who happened to process us. The de facto authorities formally use a migration card for foreign visitors, and their own legislation requires foreigners entering the territory to obtain one. British government travel guidance similarly warns visitors that passports are controlled but not stamped and that the migration document must be retained for departure.
And be careful what you call the place
There is another peculiarity that sounds almost absurd until one checks the legislation.
Inside the territory, the authorities very much prefer Pridnestrovie — derived from the Russian Pridnestrovye — rather than the internationally familiar English name Transnistria.
More significantly, this is no longer merely a question of local preference.
In 2024, the de facto legislature adopted measures prohibiting public and media use of the term “Transnistria” in reference to their self-proclaimed republic. The authorities associate the term with the Romanian-administered Transnistria Governorate during the Second World War and have connected its prohibited use with their legislation concerning extremism and what they describe as the rehabilitation or promotion of Nazism.
So the advice we had effectively been given — don't go there and casually insist on calling the place Transnistria — had a real basis.
I would, however, qualify the more dramatic version of the warning. I could verify that public use of the term has been legally prohibited and can attract sanctions; I could not establish that an ordinary tourist casually saying “Transnistria” in conversation is automatically sent to jail.
Still, it seemed a remarkably easy political argument not to have.
The soldiers made the politics real
The more serious moment for me was seeing the military presence.
There were Russian personnel in the region, and the visual impression was immediately familiar from the enormous number of photographs and videos we have all seen from Ukraine since Russia's full-scale invasion in 2022.
That was the point where the political abstraction became rather more concrete.
Russian military forces really are present here.
The situation is complicated because there are two concepts that are often casually combined. Russian personnel participate in the trilateral peacekeeping mechanism created following the 1992 conflict, while Russia also maintains the separate Operational Group of Russian Forces in the Transnistrian region.
The Moldovan Government does not consent to the continued stationing of that latter force and repeatedly calls for the withdrawal of Russian troops and ammunition from its internationally recognised territory.
For a tourist, none of that constitutional and diplomatic language is visible.
You see uniforms.
But knowing the background changes what those uniforms mean.
Then Tiraspol became surprisingly pleasant
Once inside, another preconception started to fall apart.
Tiraspol was extremely clean.
The roads and streets were noticeably tidy. Whatever else one thinks about the political system, the public spaces we encountered gave an impression of order.
This was interesting because I had half expected something visibly run-down and chaotic.
Instead, parts of the city felt spacious and calm.
The Soviet character was certainly there, but that does not mean everything looked abandoned.
Quite the opposite.
There is a strange combination of preserved Soviet symbolism and ordinary twenty-first-century daily life.
People go shopping.
Families walk around.
Restaurants serve lunch.
Cars move through the streets.
And surrounding all of that are political symbols and architectural reminders of a system that officially disappeared more than thirty years ago.
The Soviet Union that didn't quite leave
This was probably the most fascinating part of the visit for me.
I have travelled through many former communist countries. I now live in Moldova, itself a former Soviet republic. Soviet buildings, monuments and infrastructure are therefore not particularly exotic to me.
But Tiraspol felt different.
It was not simply that Soviet things had survived.
It felt as though considerably less effort had been made to create a sharp psychological break with them.
The symbols, the monumental style, the military presence and the Russian language all contributed to the sensation.
At one point I also saw what appeared to me to be an old Soviet military barracks complex.
Unfortunately, I made one of those irritating travelling mistakes: I noticed it, thought it was interesting, and kept driving.
Only afterwards did I realise that I should have stopped and photographed it.
So I have the memory, but not the photograph.
Perhaps that is a reason to return.
A currency that exists almost nowhere else
Then there is the money.
Transnistria has its own currency, the Transnistrian ruble.
It is another part of the strange parallel-state experience. You have not crossed an internationally recognised national frontier, yet suddenly you are dealing with a different monetary system.
What caught my attention was the relationship with the Moldovan leu.
At the exchange point, the numbers were close enough to make the two currencies look almost like a one-to-one proposition, but not quite. In practical exchange, there was a small difference against us.
My immediate, somewhat cynical reaction was that somebody was obviously making their margin from that apparent parity.
After looking into it more carefully, however, I would not describe this simply as “the government taking a cut”. The Transnistrian ruble operates under an administratively managed exchange-rate regime through the region's own central bank, and retail exchange offices naturally have their own buy/sell spreads.
So what we experienced was real; my explanation for it at the time was more speculative.
That distinction is worth preserving.
The bazaar felt strangely familiar
We visited the bazaar as well.
In many ways, it reminded me of the Central Market in Chișinău.
That was another useful reminder that political borders and disputes do not necessarily create completely different everyday cultures.
Markets tend to reveal ordinary life better than monuments do.
People need food, clothes, household products and all the mundane things that make up daily existence regardless of what flag appears on the government building.
The familiarity was therefore stronger than the difference.
The same was true of the food.
The food did not cross a political border
We ate well.
And unsurprisingly, the food was essentially the same culinary world we encounter elsewhere in Moldova.
That makes perfect sense.
A political conflict beginning in the final years of the Soviet Union does not magically erase generations of shared ingredients, recipes and habits.
The food felt familiar rather than foreign.
The alcohol was another matter.
There was a lot of it.
It was conspicuous, widely available and cheap.
We tried some, and my impression of the inexpensive alcohol we encountered was not particularly favourable. Cheap, certainly. Good quality, at least from what we sampled, not so much.
I would not generalise that into a claim that Transnistria produces no good alcohol. That would require considerably more tasting than one day trip can justify.
But I certainly did not return to Chișinău thinking I had discovered Moldova's great hidden source of premium spirits.
The Dniester was the unexpected attraction
One part of Tiraspol I genuinely liked was the river.
The Dniester — the Nistru in Romanian — passes through the city and gives it a completely different character from the monumental streets and Soviet political imagery.
Near the river, the city suddenly feels softer.
There is water, greenery and space.
Looking at it, my immediate thought was that this could be a very pleasant place in summer simply to stop, relax and spend time beside the river.
There are beaches and recreational areas along the Dniester, and the river is used for swimming, boating and other leisure activities in the region.
I had gone to Tiraspol expecting Soviet monuments.
I had not particularly expected to leave thinking about coming back for a lazy afternoon beside the river.
But I did.
Two realities on the same day
That contradiction is probably the best way to describe the whole trip.
What I expected
↓
Checkpoints
Russian military presence
Soviet symbolism
Political strangeness
What I also found
↓
Polite officials
Very clean streets
Familiar food and markets
A pleasant riverside
Ordinary people living ordinary lives
The political situation is serious.
Russia's military presence is serious.
The unresolved conflict between Chișinău and Tiraspol is serious.
None of that should be romanticised simply because Soviet imagery makes interesting photographs.
At the same time, actually visiting a place reminds you that geopolitical disputes are lived inside ordinary cities.
Tiraspol is simultaneously the administrative centre of an unresolved separatist conflict and a place where somebody goes to work in the morning, somebody takes a child for a walk and somebody sits beside the river on a sunny afternoon.
Was it worth going?
Definitely.
But not because I discovered some extraordinary tourist attraction that everyone visiting Moldova must immediately add to a bucket list.
For me, the value was the curiosity of the place itself.
It was fun to go there.
I wanted to understand what happened when we drove east from Chișinău, passed through the checkpoints and entered this peculiar political space that appears on maps as Moldova but operates according to another set of institutions.
Now I know a little more.
I know they will inspect my passport but will not give me the stamp I wanted.
I know to keep the little migration paper.
I know that arguing over the word “Transnistria” while standing inside Transnistria would be a particularly pointless way of complicating a day trip.
I know the streets can be surprisingly clean.
I know the bazaar can feel remarkably like Chișinău's.
I know the river deserves more attention than I gave it today.
And I know that next time I see an interesting Soviet military building from the car, I should stop and take the photograph rather than telling myself I will remember to do it later.
By the end of the day, I did not feel that I had visited another country.
But I certainly felt that I had crossed into another reality.
A reality of migration papers, checkpoints, its own rubles, Russian soldiers, Soviet symbols, clean streets, familiar food, a busy bazaar and a surprisingly attractive river.
For a few hours, it really did feel as though we had driven backwards through history.
Then we crossed the checkpoints again and drove home to Chișinău.
Where relevant, factual references were checked against official or authoritative sources. Personal impressions — including my observations of the roads, cleanliness, food, alcohol, market, officials, military personnel and the general feeling of being in a surviving Soviet environment — remain my own. AI assistance does not replace professional legal, regulatory, financial or technical advice, and the final selection, interpretation, opinions and conclusions presented here remain my own.











Comments
Post a Comment