Based on a LinkedIn post originally published on 9 February 2026
One of the best periods of my professional life was the time I spent working for Compaq and Hewlett-Packard.
I was exactly where I wanted to be.
I worked with outstanding technology, highly capable colleagues and demanding customers. The expectations were high, the technical standards were clear and the environment rewarded competence, curiosity and disciplined problem-solving.
I received consistently positive feedback from managers and customers. I was trusted with challenging assignments, and my career appeared to be progressing in the right direction.
Professionally, things were going extremely well.
My personal life was moving in the opposite direction.
Two parts of life moving in different directions
At the time, I was in a deeply unhealthy relationship.
I will not turn this article into an account of another person or disclose private details that do not belong in a professional reflection. What matters here is the effect the situation gradually had on me.
Energy, concentration and confidence began to erode.
The changes were not immediate or dramatic. They accumulated slowly enough that it was possible to keep functioning and assume that the personal and professional parts of life remained separate.
They did not.
Personal instability
|
+-- Reduced sleep and recovery
+-- Lower energy
+-- Eroded confidence
+-- Divided attention
+-- Persistent stress
|
v
Professional capacity and behaviourEventually, the impact became visible at work.
The myth of complete separation
Professional culture often encourages people to imagine that personal life can be left outside the workplace.
The expectation is understandable. Colleagues should not be required to absorb every private difficulty, and employees still have responsibilities to customers, teams and the organisation.
However, the idea of complete separation is unrealistic.
The same person exists in both environments.
Sleep, health, confidence, fear, conflict, financial pressure, family responsibilities and personal safety do not disappear when someone opens a laptop or enters an office.
A person can compartmentalise for a period. Many people become extremely skilled at it. That does not mean the underlying pressure has no effect.
The effect may appear through:
- reduced concentration;
- uncharacteristic mistakes;
- lower tolerance for ambiguity or conflict;
- difficulty making decisions;
- withdrawal from colleagues;
- declining confidence;
- exhaustion;
- or inconsistent performance.
These signs do not prove that someone has a personal problem. They may have many causes.
They do show why performance should be understood in context rather than interpreted only as an isolated workplace output.
High performance can conceal instability
One difficulty is that strong performers can continue delivering for a surprisingly long time while their foundations deteriorate.
Experience, professional discipline and a sense of responsibility can compensate temporarily for reduced personal capacity.
The individual may work longer hours, prepare more carefully or use increasing amounts of energy to maintain the same visible result.
From the organisation’s perspective, nothing appears wrong.
Internally, the cost of maintaining performance continues to rise.
Eventually, compensation reaches its limit.
Performance may then appear to decline suddenly, even though the underlying process developed over months or years.
Technical skill cannot stabilise every foundation
At Compaq and Hewlett-Packard, I had access to exceptional technology and strong professional opportunities.
I was developing deep expertise in enterprise systems, UNIX, databases, storage, networking and telecommunications platforms. I was working with complex customer environments and solving problems that demanded careful analysis across several technical layers.
Those opportunities mattered enormously.
However, technical ability could not compensate indefinitely for instability elsewhere in my life.
A career is not supported by knowledge alone.
Long-term performance also depends on:
- physical and mental health;
- rest and recovery;
- personal safety;
- stable relationships;
- financial and practical security;
- and the confidence to make sound decisions.
When several of these foundations weaken simultaneously, professional capability becomes harder to use consistently.
Why people remain silent
People experiencing serious personal difficulties often say nothing at work.
There may be several reasons:
- fear of being judged as unreliable;
- concern about career consequences;
- a desire to protect privacy;
- shame or self-blame;
- uncertainty about what is happening;
- or the belief that a capable professional should manage alone.
In leadership and highly technical roles, the pressure to appear in control can be particularly strong.
The person may be responsible for incidents, customers, employees or critical systems. Admitting that something outside work is affecting them can feel incompatible with that responsibility.
Silence may appear safer.
It can also prevent the person from obtaining support before the situation becomes more serious.
What managers can observe
A manager should not attempt to diagnose an employee’s private life.
They should observe changes in work and create space for an honest conversation.
For example:
I have noticed that you seem under unusual pressure and that a few things have changed recently. I do not want to make assumptions, but I wanted to ask how you are doing and whether there is any reasonable support we can provide.
This approach focuses on observed behaviour without demanding personal disclosure.
The employee retains control over how much information to share.
The manager can then discuss practical options such as:
- temporary workload adjustment;
- leave;
- flexible scheduling;
- reduced on-call responsibility;
- access to available support programmes;
- or clearer short-term priorities.
Support does not mean removing accountability indefinitely.
It means recognising that a temporary adjustment may preserve both the person and their long-term contribution.
Privacy must be respected
Employees should not have to provide intimate details to prove that they are experiencing difficulty.
A manager may need enough information to approve an accommodation, understand availability or meet organisational requirements. That does not create permission to investigate the person’s private circumstances.
Information should be shared only with those who genuinely require it.
Trust can be damaged quickly if a sensitive disclosure becomes workplace conversation.
Leaders must therefore distinguish between:
- information required to manage work responsibly;
- and information that is merely personally interesting.
The second category does not belong in the workplace.
Support and accountability are compatible
Empathy is sometimes presented as the opposite of performance management.
It is not.
A manager can acknowledge personal circumstances while remaining clear about:
- essential responsibilities;
- temporary changes;
- communication expectations;
- available support;
- and when the arrangement will be reviewed.
Ambiguity helps nobody.
The employee should not be left wondering whether their role is at risk. The team should not be left absorbing an undefined workload. The manager should not promise support the organisation cannot provide.
A clear temporary plan can protect all three.
Observed change
|
Private conversation
|
Agreed temporary support
|
Clear responsibilities and priorities
|
Review date
|
Return, revise or escalate appropriatelyWhat individuals can learn
The experience also changed how I assess my own sustainability.
Professional performance should not be evaluated only through completed work, praise or promotions.
It is also worth asking:
- How much energy is required to maintain this performance?
- Am I recovering between periods of pressure?
- Has my confidence changed?
- Am I making decisions from clarity or exhaustion?
- Have I become isolated?
- Am I normalising circumstances that are damaging me?
- Would I advise another person to continue in the same way?
These questions are not signs of weakness.
They are part of responsible self-management.
Performance must be sustainable
Short periods of exceptional effort are sometimes necessary.
Production incidents, deadlines and personal emergencies can temporarily require more than normal capacity.
The danger begins when exceptional effort becomes the permanent operating model.
Sustainable performance requires cycles of effort and recovery.
Healthy model: Pressure --> Recovery --> Learning --> Stable performance Unsustainable model: Pressure --> More pressure --> Compensation --> Exhaustion
An organisation that depends on the second model will eventually lose capable people or see their performance deteriorate.
How the experience influenced my leadership
That period shaped how I later supported people in demanding technical environments.
When an engineer’s behaviour or performance changed, I tried to avoid jumping immediately to a conclusion about competence or commitment.
The correct first step was to understand the evidence and begin a respectful conversation.
Sometimes the problem was technical. Sometimes expectations were unclear. Sometimes workload or team conflict was responsible. Sometimes circumstances outside work were affecting the person.
Different causes require different responses.
Empathy does not mean avoiding difficult performance discussions.
It means entering those discussions with enough humility to recognise that the visible symptom may not be the complete problem.
Not a failure, but a foundational lesson
Looking back, I do not see that period as a professional failure.
I see it as the point at which I learned something fundamental about sustainability, self-awareness and long-term performance.
Technical skill matters.
Professional opportunity matters.
Strong managers, capable colleagues and interesting work matter.
However, they can carry a person only so far when the foundations outside work are unstable.
That lesson remains relevant to me today—both in managing my own limits and in supporting others operating under pressure.
People do not stop being human when they begin work.
Good leadership should never forget it.
This article is based on my original ideas, experience, analysis and conclusions. Artificial intelligence tools were subsequently used as editorial and research assistants to review grammar and wording, improve structure and presentation, organise some arguments into clearer logical sections, and help review references to legal, regulatory and technical concepts.
Where relevant, factual and regulatory references were checked against the sources cited in the article. AI assistance does not replace professional legal, regulatory, financial or technical advice, and the final selection, interpretation, opinions and conclusions presented here remain my own.
Comments
Post a Comment